Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Last Entry


This probably won't really be the last page as I will use this blog to rant about DM and breeders who don't test for it. But it is the last entry in Merlin's journey.

Just under a week ago he started refusing to eat. THe previous two posts cover that. Now he is still not eating, we switched to Baytril and still no appetite or improvement. He seems congested, isn't breathing well, and has little energy. Every so often he rallies enough to bark but he will only drink water and he looks miserable. His eyes are telling me it is time, and this afternoon at the South Whidbey Animal Clinic Dr. Patrin will humanely end his life.

Just over 13 years ago, Christmas vacation 1997, I brought Merlin home. In November of 97 my Labrador Brother had died and for my birthday my dear friends surprised me with the tri puppy from their litter.

But I actually met Merlin the day he was born. My daughter had been home from college for the weekend and I was loading up to drive her to the train when my neighbor's husband ran over. "Linda needs you, it looks like Lily is having the puppies." He drove Melia to the train and I got to Linda's just in time to see Lily pick up Merlin, still in the sac, and deposit him in the litter box. It was the 57th day and I was worried when I saw him that she had gotten bred by some stray dog. I had never seen a newborn tri and did not know they were all black and white!


As soon as finals were over Merlin came home to live with me and our last Lab Pippin and our older female corgi Dolly. He quickly became a little terror. He and Dolly frapped non-stop and when Dolly took a moment off to recover Merlin tortured Pippin trying to get her to play. He started to show his extreme stubbornness even then.

Merlin proved to be a heroic little fellow, at the age of just about six months he scared an intruder out of our house. I heard him snarling and growling at about 6 one morning and came to find him holding off an intruder who had started to come through the back door. The guy backed out and said he was looking for this guy's studio (at 6 AM?) and Merlin got lots of extra treats!

Over the years our dog family changed, Pippin and Dolly were followed by Luka, Wesley, Abby. Janine,. Jack, Teddy. and Candy. Now besides Merlin we have Candy at 10. Janine 8. and Jack 5. Merlin liked our cats but Hobie and Casey have both since gone, not to be replaced.

Merlin had a few injuries in his youth,. at two, one CCL ligament ruptured, the second one at five. He recovered from both surgeries but always had a bit of a funny gait after the second. Despite that, at 7 he started agility, competing in his first trial right after his eighth birthday. He was never fast because he insisted on running next to me and watching me the whole time, but he managed to reach Enthusiast Level 4 in CPE before his retirement.

At the age of almost ten Merlin started to have seizures. It took quite some time to get them under good control, and by then he had begun to walk even funnier. He retired from agility in April of 2008 and by September the DM was pretty obvious. The rest of his history can be found in this blog, thanks to the suggestion of Millie Williams that I keep one.




Merlin's journey is ending today, but the fight against DM has to go on. Puppy buyers, PLEASE insist on buying only carrier or clear puppies. Breeders, PLEASE be responsible, test your stock, and breed to lessen the incidence of this terrible disease. No person and no dog should have to go through this.

Rest in peace, Merlin.

Epilog: we left early and took a long drive since Merlin can usually sleep peacefully in the car, and he did. Stopped for a bit and he woke and his breathing was terrible. I know I made the right decision for him but my heart is breaking.

17 comments:

Fay said...

I have followed your journey with Merlin since the beginning of your blog. I am so sorry that you've lost your dear friend. It seems as though our friendships are never long enough. I admire your commitment to Merlin. I understand how hard it is, sometimes, to provide care, as my twin brother was paralyzed a few years ago.

Fay, who lost my first cardi to IVDD and thanks to your advocacy, has had my "new" cardis tested for DM

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss and yet I know that Merlin had a wonderful life and was saved much suffering because he had you.

I know the heartache of your decision and the cruelty of this disease.

I will miss seeing you all roll through the neighborhood. Yet, in my heart I can picture Merlin happy and able bodied - free of the disease - just like my Merry Christmas, who I still miss.

My heart aches for you, and I am grateful for your's and Merlin's bravery in fighting this disease.

Barbara

2Grandmas2 said...

My cardis are also tested for DM; thanks to Merlin. I have referred many people here, and to wheeled corgis, when they speak of how unnecessary it is. I think that Merlin will long be an advocate for DM testing and choosing good breeders.
Peace be with you tonight, Bobbie, and know that many are joining you in your grief.

Nancy in Kingston

Carolyn Cannon said...

I'm so sorry Bobbie. We've know that the clock was running down but it is still so hard.

Your blog is a documentation of the downward spiral and of how difficult it is on the person who loves and cares for the affected dog. I will continue to refer people to it.

It will be time to test Kady soon as her sire Wally is a carrier. Mom Hannah is clear so at least I know she won't be affected.

Rich Kahn said...

Bobbie I so appreciate your care and knowledge of your dogs. For others reading this blog, I was honored to be one of Merlin's veterinarians. Bobbie is a wonderful balance of kindness and carefully studied scientific care of her many animals. I am sure that her animals receive better care than the vast majority of humans. I have many times been happily challenged and educated by Bobbie's research and have used her as a research resource myself. Bobbie, I'm very glad you have so many friends to comfort you in this time of loss.

Anonymous said...

Bobbie, thank you so much for all you do for DM. I am so very sorry about Merlin and know how you will miss caring for him. It's not really a chore, but an act of love.

Millie, who may have a couple of DM dogs in her future, too.....

AgileCorgi said...

Merlin will be missed by a lot of people who have never met him in person. Through you, he has served a very important purpose in his life - to educate people about DM, and to show how compassion can turn a horrifying illness into a journey of love.

Anonymous said...

Oh Bobbie. This is Joni Wamer, Kassie's partner. My heart aches for you but Merlin is where he should be and he will be with you always. My heart resonated with you when you wrote that you met Merlin the day he was born. Three years ago at the age of 16, I lost my canine soulmate. I was there when she was born and we recognized each other immediately. I said to my brother - "that one is mine". We had an unbreakable bond and though she has been gone 3 years, she is with me every day of my life. Merlin is also with you every day for the rest of your life.

JoAnne said...

Bobbie, my heart goes out to you and yours. You are an inspiration to the rest of us with your dedication, devotion, and knowledge. You fought this horrible disease with passion and you have taught and supported so many people - I'll bet you'd be surprised at how many people you've touched.

May Merlin live long in your heart and your memory and may you receive solace from your many dog friends.

JoAnne and the Cardis four

Mistywowo said...

My heart goes out to you ..I lost an aussie/corgi cross to this last February,,,only they did not know what it was until I showed them your blog and then it all clicked.
I am glad he let you know it was time..very hard to make that decision...thoughts and hugs are with you :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Bobbie, I am so sorry to read about Merlin.

I need orange said...

I am so sorry.

Thinking about you.

-- V

2Grandmas2 said...

I love the addition of the pictures! What a truly special boy is will always be.
Nancy

Zanna Russell said...

Oh, I am so sorry for your loss and the battle he had to fight. Thanks to Merlin and your blog, I am now so much more aware of this terrible disease.

Thank you ♥

Anonymous said...

I've been following his blog, and I'm so sorry his time on Earth is through. May he rest in peace.

Jules said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your blog is an excellent resource and Merlin's journey will live on through it.

My condolences.

Elbeepem said...

I am deeply sorry for your loss of Merlin. I reached a point where I couldn't read the blog for a bit when it became evident that he was near the end - just too painful.

Your blog has done a great service to those who think that DM is nothing to worry about. It is so easy to avoid putting a lovely animal through such an ordeal.

Celebrate the many wonderful years and special moments that you had with Merlin. His was a rich and wonderful life - because of you!

Kathy in California