Monday, April 5, 2010

Maybe I should just feed him at 4 AM?

Merlin has wanted out at 3-4 am the last two mornings. Yes, he does have to go, and because of DM robbing his mobility- and now his ability to go on his own- he needs me to help him get out and go. I'm sleepy, but I can do that, and still get back to sleep.

But then we come back in and he wants to eat and starts to bark. This morning I was determined to ignore him and tried hard to go back to sleep, but I never really slept, and at 6:30 when there was a brief lull in the racket, jumped up to reward the quiet.

Pills, then he barked for another 45 minutes. Finally he stopped and came into the room I was in, so I jumped up and rewarded his effort with breakfast. Now he is sleeping. Maybe feeding him at 4 would have accomplished the same thing and allowed me to get more sleep! But I figure 4 will become 3, then 2, then every hour on the hour if I give in.

He is STILL perfectly happy sleeping out in the car all day, never barks, wonderful peace for all of us, even if I'm in the car with him. But the weather warms and that is going to come to an end soon, and we have six weeks of warm weather before we can leave for Washington. I'm determined to get him to Washington as I think he will be happier there and maybe have a few more good months.

No comments: